Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Oregon trail I blazed in Portland

Once again, I eat and drink my way through Oregon. I went out this year to visit Laura and Rob but conveniently planned my trip the weekend of the Oregon Brewer's Festival, always held the last full weekend in July. I finally got to take the Portland Underground Tour and see some of the Shanghai tunnels.

My weekend and a few extra days went like this: Brewer's Fest (twice), Ping, Tugboat Brewery, Pine State Biscuits, Bunk Sandwiches, Portland Farmers Market, Tony Starlight's, The Screen Door, Berry Picking at Sauvie Island, and of course a visit to Portland is not complete without a visit to Stumptown and New Seasons! Who knew someone could be so obsessed with a grocery chain? :)

First the brews, my favorites from the festival:
*Track Town Ales 200 Meter
Caldera Brewery Co. Hibiscus Ginger Beer
Boundary Bay Brewery Amarillo Double Dry Hopped Pale Ale
*Eel River Brewing Organic Acai Berry Wheat
*Standing Stone Brewing Co. Double IPA
*Astoria Brewing Co. Bitter Bitch Imperial IPA
Beer Valley Brewing Co. Leafer Madness IPA

*my most favorite of the favorites!

The Brewer's Fest was awesome once again, and I'd like to make the yearly pilgrimage. This year they had a tent with extreme brews but I am saving that for next year to appreciate with my beer partner. Tugboat Brewery was interesting, it was finally open when I wanted to go. I had the Cherynobyl Stout. Bunk Sandwiches had quite a line and was worth it before the fest. I feel lucky to have been to both Puk Puk and Ping. See the menu for Ping here. I am pretty sure everything on the menu is great, so I am not going to recommend, but go hungry! I will recommend the Veggie Scramble (no eggs) at The Screen Door for brunch, expect a long wait, folks get up early in this town!

Oh yes, I was in Portland during record breaking heat, 7.27 was 103 degrees, a record breaker!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home